Hanging

“Man is a rope stretched between beast and superman”.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I’m on track to finish all four threes by the end of the month, but I wanted to post something for the full moon. I did this one around Christmas time, a good time for thinking about the Sacrificed God. Reading The Golden Bough: seemingly the act of hanging a god or a divine person is a way of insulating their magic, preventing it from escaping, both for their own protection and that of others.

I think it’s very much the artists’ card. We have to dive down into the depths, down into our submarine subconscious and commune with all the beasties there. There really is no other way to find the gold. No suffering, no sacrifice, no art.

“I have refrained my feet from the evil ways of the earth”.

This ideal of the artist was reinforced yet again for me by the wonderful writer Gustave Flaubert, who I fell in love with recently. He slaved away for years on end at each of his books…they are monumental works of art, and hugely influential, but in his own time was a total “failure” commercially and socially. He just didn’t give people the comforting illusions they wanted to hear. He didn’t pander to anyone. Wonderful honest and brilliant man!  He is also most definitely woman friendly. In fact I think all teenage girls should be forced to read Madame Bovary. She could save them a life time of grief.

Anyway the moons about to go void so I am over and out.

^___^

7 responses

1. Beautiful. I love the whole nautical motif in these cards. I’m sorry to say I have not read Flaubert myself, and my copy of the Golden Bough is still waiting for me as well. That’s very interesting about hanging the god to contain his power. :::gears starting to turn in my head, creaking:::

February 19, 2011 at 2:53 am

• The Golden Bough is a good read…a real page turner. Frazer is sometimes so obtuse you want to wrestle him into a headlock and shout in his ear, but he certainly knows how to entertain.
      Flaubert on the other hand is totally adorable. One of those people who make you proud to be a human being.

February 19, 2011 at 8:12 am

2. Another beautiful card. Well done. I wondered why the hair was defying gravity until I realised she is of course under water.

February 20, 2011 at 2:23 am

• Yes the priestess has gone swimming to meet the octopus and get his advice on a very important matter!

February 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

3. Huh. Huh. I have never thought of – nor seen it suggested anywhere else – of the HM as an artist’s card. This is very, very smart of you, Foxy 😉 And with your description of the HP consulting with the octopus, I just love the idea of her getting off her seat and diving down under the water. It’s a lovely active balance to the HP’s usual passivity.

Yes, a very smart interpretation of the Hanged Man indeed 🙂

February 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

• Well the quotes came from the Timothy Leary book “The Game of Life”, in which he writes his own very freaked out and amusing interpretation of the Majors. He regards the ABYSS of the HM as the transition from larval to post larval…i.e. the suspension of social imprints.
      I suppose it is my own extrapolation that this is also the point at which a person becomes an artist (or a butterfly), because the larval hive mind set is by nature conservative and conventional and not at all creative or original.
      I liked this Alfred Douglas HM quote too:
      “In order to achieve real success and fulfillment one must align oneself with the rules of the universe rather than the laws of man. To do this requires courage, fortitude and faith in the values of the spirit; but for those who dare to assert their independence in this fashion reward will come…the gift of serenity and inward peace.”

February 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm